Monday 2 June 2014

Book | Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Image and video hosting by TinyPicGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Published By: Phoenix
Published On: May 24, 2012
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
Pages: 515
Format: eBook
Rating: 3.5

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?


On their fifth wedding anniversary, Nick’s wife Amy disappears. Her unexpected disappearance, and the circumstances surrounding it, leaves some of the people in Amy’s life looking very suspicious, Nick more so than the others.

This book is so freaking strange. I must have told my mum this about 100 times while reading it. This book has one seriously messed up storyline and some even more messed up characters. I really do not know how else to describe it.

I could not put it down. The mystery aspect of the book had me completely hooked and made it very hard to put down. I read it over a couple of busy days but found myself grabbing every opportunity to find out what happened to Amy and when I stopped reading to sleep, I was dreaming about it.

Not one thing about it is expected. I had expected this book to be quite predictable. I thought there were only so many things that could be done with a disappearing wife but I was so wrong. In this respect, Gillian Flynn is a genius. There were so many unexpected twists that I just could not see coming, which made for an enjoyable read.

None of the characters are at all likeable. It cannot be easy to write a book with no likeable characters and make that beneficial to the book. I loved the fact that most of the characters looked quite suspicious, with the other ones just being not that nice. The lack of likeable characters definitely added to the story.

The ending made me so angry. I know the ending is probably perfect for the story and the characters but it was definitely not how I wanted the book to end. It was not a badly written ending in any way, however I did feel like the story was building to a good climax but instead just ended.


Overall, I liked Gone Girl but it was just too strange for me to love it. It definitely had it’s great points and I enjoyed the plot twists but there was just something missing. I would recommend it if you are looking for something a bit darker but those who, love a good happy ending, like me, this is definitely not the book to read. I am really interested to see what they do with the movie, due to be released late this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment