Monday 2 June 2014

Book | In Stitches by Dr Nick Edwards

Image and video hosting by TinyPicIn Stitches by Dr Nick Edwards
Published By: The Friday Project
Published On: June 12, 2009
Genre: Memoir, Comedy
Pages: 275
Format: eBook
Rating: 3

Dr Nick Edwards is an Accident and Emergency (A&E) doctor working in the UK and a passionate believer in the NHS. However the reforms, political correctness and the Anglo-Saxon culture of binge drinking and fighting and the resulting A&E visits are a strain on his sanity. So to keep up his morale, he began writing down his feelings - a form of literary cathartic therapy - the results of which make up this book.
So join Dr Nick Edwards as he describes the frustrations and joys of working in the NHS. The traumas and tragedies, the patients and colleagues and most of all the successes and humour that make up life at the frontline of medical care.

Nick Edwards, an A&E (Accident & Emergency) doctor with very strong opinions about the NHS, shares both rants and anecdotes in his book documenting some of his experiences within the fast paced world of A&E.

Again, I love the insight into a career I could never have. I made this point in my review of Further Confessions of a GP. I am fascinated with the medical profession. I watch countless medical TV shows but, of course, the majority are fictional and don’t give a very accurate insight. Books like this, however, document the highs and lows of this profession through real situations.

I love the anecdotes and patient interactions. My favourite parts of books like this are the stories of patients that the doctor has come into contact with. This book contains some heart warming anecdotes along with the funny ones and a few sad stories thrown in as well.

I now see A&E in a different light. Never again will I set off for A&E before being sure I have either an accident or an emergency. Never again will I complain at how long I have waited to be seen. Never again will I be annoyed if a member of staff is grumpy or tired. I have gained much more respect for the A&E staff through reading this book.

There is just too much ranting. It is mentioned at the start of the book that the he is only writing when he has something to say, and most of those times it is because he is angry. For that reason, I was expecting some moaning throughout the book. However, I was not prepared for a political rant, or just any kind of complaint, almost every chapter. It was beginning to get repetitive and quite annoying.

Overall, I thought this was an average book. I enjoy this type of book but have definitely read better. I would recommend this book if you would like an insight into the trials of working in A&E, but only if you like a lot of political ranting.

No comments:

Post a Comment