Monday 5 May 2014

Book | Crossed by Allie Condie

Image and video hosting by TinyPicCrossed by Allie Condie
Series: Matched #2
Published by: Penguin
Published on: November 24, 2011
Genres: Dystopian, Romance
Pages: 367
Format: eBook
Rating: 3

The Society chooses everything. The books you read. The music you listen to. The person you love. Yet for Cassia the rules have changed. Ky has been taken and she will sacrifice everything to find him. And when Cassia discovers Ky has escaped to the wild frontiers beyond the Society there is hope. But on the edge of society nothing is as it seems... A rebellion is rising. And a tangled web of lies and double-crosses could destroy everything.



Ally Condie’s Crossed is the second book in the Matched Trilogy. The trilogy features the main character, Cassia, who lives in a society in which teenagers are provided with their perfect match based on data gathered by the society. After her Match Banquet, Cassia discovers she has been matched to two people, Xander and Ky.

In the second book in the trilogy, Cassia leaves the comfort of her normal life and family in search of Ky. It follows her journey through work camps, deserts and canyons on her search for Ky and for the Rising.

Although not as good as the first book, Crossed is still an enjoyable read. However, it is missing a lot of the things I enjoyed about Matched. I found the details about the society, and their control over everyday life, very interesting when reading the first book. These details are very few in the second book as Cassia is no longer in her hometown and controlled by the society to the same extent. Even with the lack of these details, the story itself was quite good and I did enjoy the book in general.

I found in the first book that the characters were developed well and it was not difficult, at least for me, to connect with the characters. I didn’t feel as though the characters were developed quite as well in this book and I did not find myself establishing any connection with the new characters introduced. 

Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the ending of the book. I know the book is part of a trilogy but I really hate when a book ends very abruptly. I understand that the idea is to end the book on a cliff-hanger to make the reader want to read the next book in the series, but I feel that this was done badly, just as it was in the first book. On finishing a book, I expect to be left wanting more. Instead, it ended so abruptly that I felt as though the last part of the book was missing.

Overall, I did enjoy the book and will be reading the third book in the trilogy. It does not live up to the standard of Matched but I would recommend reading it if you have read the first book.

(PS Another old review, the better ones will come)

No comments:

Post a Comment